Support students with anaphylaxis.
Follow these steps to support students with anaphylaxis at Narrogin SHS. Students with allergies may experience anaphylaxis, a severe allergic reaction.
- is a medical emergency
- can cause death
- requires your immediate response
- can be traumatic for the students, parents, staff and other witnesses.
Plan for health care support.
Principals implement a whole school approach to anaphylaxis management.
You can access information and resources to help implement a whole school approach from Allergy Aware.
Principals identify students at risk of anaphylaxis when parents:
- complete a Form 1 student health care summary at enrolment or
- inform you that the student has a new diagnosis.
If a student is at risk of anaphylaxis, principals:
- ask parents to complete a Form 4 severe allergy or anaphylaxis
- check that parents have provided a prescribed adrenaline injector that is within date
- inform all staff, including relief and canteen staff, of the students at risk
- confirm school staff have completed anaphylaxis and food allergy professional learning.
Review student health care plans annually or when the student’s health care needs change, whichever comes first.
(extract from IKON, DOE WA 10.51am 1/12/2022)