Purpose of the Board
Narrogin Senior High School is required to have an effective School Council that includes community and business/industry representation.
The role of a School Council is outlined in the School Education Act 1999. In essence, the School Council is tasked with setting the long term future for the school and maintaining oversight (not management) of the school’s operation. The Council provides additional expertise to help the school achieve the best outcomes for the students. Parent members of the School Council bring their expertise as parents at the school, and the views and context of the wider school community to School Council meetings. Community members bring a particular skill to the School Council. This may include business, accounting or building skills, or some other skill that the school is looking for at that time. Student, staff and P&C representatives bring their perspectives and expertise to meetings, and ensure effective communication between the Council and their groups.
The Principal is responsible for the educational leadership, operation and management of the school. To maximise the input of the School Council in developing school policies, the Principal seeks advice and receives recommendations from the School Council. To enable the School Council to function effectively, the Principal reports regularly to the School Council on progress against the Narrogin Senior High School business plan.
Functions of the Council
The Narrogin Senior High School Council will act to promote the objectives and interests of the school community, its role being to provide strategic guidance and monitoring.
The School Council will participate fully in:
- Endorsing the Narrogin Senior High School Delivery and Performance Agreement .
- Endorsing and reviewing the school budget and business plan.
- Monitoring the school’s performance.
- Developing processes to review the satisfaction levels of parents, staff and students, with results reported in the annual school report.
- Endorsing the annual school report.
In carrying out these functions, the School Council envisages a proactive role for the Narrogin Senior High School Council as well as roles in the review and endorsement of school policies, plans and reports.
Structure and Membership of the Narrogin Senior High School Council
The School Council has 11 members:
- The Principal
- Three staff members
- A parent nominated by the P&C
- Seven members from parents, community and business/industry.
- In addition, up to two student representatives are included on the Council, without voting rights
2016 School Council Members
Click here to download the NSHS Procedural Guidelinesv2